I plan to be on the road for one month. This will give me a few days at my final destination to figure out my next move, to show the new owners the ins and outs of the motorhome, and gives me some days for wiggle room, in case I have to slow down my pace for whatever reason. This is all very tentative and most definitely will change, but I have fun planning trips so I'm going ahead with this tentative itinerary!
I don't plan to veer off course much, but will need to for boondocking spots. As far as adventure... well, I can have adventures anywhere! I find small towns of the USA to be fascinating, and always find things to explore along the way. Do you see all those pins? I've been putting pins on my Google Maps for many years now. Anywhere I go I can find adventure!
Any veering off course will be additional gas funds that I am responsible for, and this beast guzzles gas! So, I'm going to try to stay on course, and let adventure come to me.

The first 60 miles from home base puts me in Ellsworth, Kansas. The first resources I always check for a free place to stay are www.freecampsites.net and www.couchsurfing.com. Sure, there are apps now, but the Free Campsites website is a user submitted database that's been around for a long time. I've been part of Couchsurfing since 2011, and use it not only to find free places to crash, but also to meet the most amazing people on earth. Come say hi! : https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/michael.butler.
There are no free boondocking spots on Free Campsites around Ellsworth. There is also no active couchsurfers in the town. No surprise there! That's what I was expecting. So it's on to Plan B.
Plan B is to check Campendium, another great resource for free campsites. That search yielded nothing in Ellsworth, Kansas.
Plan C, looking for hosts on Boondockers Welcome, also came up with no active hosts in the area. Boondockers Welcome hosts let people who are in RVs/vans/motorhomes park in front of their house for free for a night or two.
When all else fails, I call the town. That's right, just call the town! All you need to say typically is that you're coming through the town, don't need any hookups or anything, and was hoping to just park overnight and be gone the next morning. They will often direct you to a spot.
Maybe I'll finally muster up the courage to explore this abandoned hospital: 38°43'36.9"N 98°13'15.4"W ( https://maps.app.goo.gl/LqQbydvLfuKFiFrf6 ). However, it's hard to be inconspicuous in a big rainbow motorhome!
ALSO TODAY: I've posted in the many Couchsurfing groups about my trip, and also put out a public request for hosts. Sometimes people will reach out to you and offer to host! It's a very friendly community.


Comments
Post a Comment