Greetings everyone!! I'm selling a 1972 Dodge Sportsman motorhome. Asking $6,950. It's in Bison, Kansas but let's talk...! Maybe I can meet you somewhere to make it work. Much more details are in my profile. Look at over 100 pictures, and don't forget to read the photo descriptions that will give you a lot more details about this ol' thang! Converted to solar for boondocking! Here's a video walkthrough as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKGTyMbdwFQ&feature=youtu.be
Facebook of Gwennie: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61556537318932
Website of Gwennie: https://classclassie.blogspot.com/2024/06/all-info-you-need.html
Contact me: butlermichaeldavid@gmail.com
Facebook of Gwennie: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61556537318932
Website of Gwennie: https://classclassie.blogspot.com/2024/06/all-info-you-need.html
Contact me: butlermichaeldavid@gmail.com
When I first got the thing it had a couple leaks at the ceiling. I've since put on several more coats of rubber roof, and now there are no leaks at all! Anywhere! In some interior photos you will spot some damage from leaks over the years. Overall the thing seems solid and dry, and doesn't smell like mold or anything. In all fairness, I haven't torn up the floors or anything like that to check all the the subfloor layers for mold.
More roof shots. Yes, that's hail damage. Don't know when the hail storm happened. The sides also have hail damage.
I went all out on the rubber roofing a few months ago. Coated everything!
Rubber roof very recent! Also, AC shroud was replaced just a couple months ago. Can you see the hail damage? Oh well. She has character. I wouldn't make fun of your head.
The shroud is still in great condition. Cheap stickers though are already peeling. Bought the shroud in May 2024.
AC shroud is new.
No more leaks!
Another roof shot. Can you hang out on the roof? I don't know. Maybe. You can do whatever you want if you buy the Class C Lassie. However, I decided not to hang out up there when I was on the road with it. It was very tempting to put a camping chair up there with my telescope. It's 52 years old though, so... decided against it.
Such a cute ladder!
A better shot of the circuit breaker box and switch. "Lake power" means shore power, I guess. Haven't seen that term before. There is no generator anymore... so I just leave it on "Lake power".
Here is the side view of the solar generator kit from Nature's Generator ( https://naturesgenerator.com/.../natures-generator-elite... ). I bought the expansion "power-pod" as well for more POWER! ::Tim the Toolman Taylor impression::
This has a 30amp plug for your shore power needs! Guess what? The 30 amp plug can plug in DIRECTLY to the solar generator. You can see on their website. Isn't that awesome? So, when I'm boondocking I just plug that 30 amp into the generator and leave the power switch that you can see in the upper left-hand corner on shore power, just like I would at a campground with hookups. Next to the switch you can see the circuit breaker box. A great boondocking vehicle for you vanlifers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is where you would connect the hose to dump the tank. I fixed a leak so now it is all set to use! I've used it a handful of times. Haven't had any blank tank leaking issues. PHEW!
Through a little window that they put in for you to access the plumbing.
What can you spot in this blurry photo that I didn't really need to upload?
"Look how little rust I have!"
Looks like perhaps the exhaust, or bits of it, have been replaced in more recent years. I've had the thing since April of 2024. Look at all that tread on the tires!
I think you can see a bit of the plumbing here. I only found one leak underneath here, near where you hook up the external hose for draining the tank. I fixed it. By the way, this thing doesn't have a gray water tank. The shower and sinks drain right out. There is a black water tank though, thank God!
"I feel so exposed! But I know you have to look at my under-bits before you become my new owner." - Gwennie
Underneath. Not much rust considering how old this thing is! You can see both gas tanks here. The rear tank had a leak, which I have fixed, right at the spot where the hose meets the tank. The rear tank can hold about half a tank. Anything more than that and it starts to leak. I haven't been able to pinpoint the leak yet. The inbound tank can hold a full tank, but the overflow hose has worn out, so it can also leak if you fill it to the tippy top. Only the rear tank has a working fuel level indicator on the dash.
Front hitch! Interesting. Haven't used it.
It's been easy to work on so far. I've fixed the wipers, so they work now. The wiper fluid doesn't come out though. Oh well!
What a cute grill, isn't it? The headlights work, however, I wouldn't recommend driving it at night currently. There's a weird electrical issue that I haven't been able to fix yet, that turns off the rear lights intermittently when I have the lights on to drive at night.
However, during the day, the lights needed to use the turn signals and signal that you're braking work fine.
Replaced the battery in the past couple of months. Have receipts and records for this thing going way back. Oil change just done on the thing in June of 2024.

Details / specs about the van. Model: B300. Have any other questions? Please reach out!!! It has a 360 V8 engine. Carburetor, of course, with a manual choke! Took me a while to figure it out, but it's easy to start once you get the hang of it. Not sure how to read this sticker entirely. Does it say it was once equipped with AC? The AC for the van doesn't work (I don't think! I sure can't figure it out, if it's there!). Don't forget though... the Coleman ceiling AC unit for the motorhome WORKS!
This is where the propane tanks used to live. I might still have them if you want them. There are still remnants of the old propane lines throughout the motorhome. Nothing is one propane anymore. All electric! However, if you're boondocking and need heat, I do have a "Portable Buddy" that you can have. A propane powered space heater. It worked well for the thing back in April when I was boondocking in Indiana.
Half a can of the stuff I used for the rubber roof left. You can have it! Storage underneath the kitchen sink. They did a good job utilizing space in this thing! It has everything you need! Toilet... shower... sinks... beds... go park it on some BLM land out west and disappear. I've done it. It's a great experience. Everything you need to boondock. Two sinks. Plenty of drawers. Most of the hardware for the drawers and cabinet doors are intact, but some are broken and cracked.
I left this exhaust from the original stove that was in the thing. I've removed the stove and put in an induction range that can work on the solar generator! The fan and light on this work on 12v DC power from the aux battery.
"You can find remnants of what I used to be all over me." Sounds like some emo lyrics, Gwynevere! Here you can see a panel that leads to the exterior, that was part of the old hot water heater. That was replaced with an electric hot water heater that works great with the solar generator! The same outlet is being used for the hot water heater and the induction range. Probably not a good idea to try to run both at the same time.
The new hot water heater. It's all electric, and works great!
I
made sure you can very easily remove the induction range to have better
access to this area, where you can plug in the range and hot water
heater. Don't worry, it fits very snuggly into this rectangular hole, so
you don't have to worry about it while you're going down the road.
I know, the countertops could be much prettier. Haven't gotten to that project yet!
I know, the countertops could be much prettier. Haven't gotten to that project yet!
A door to access the hot water heater and whatever else you want to put down here. Look at those old linoleum floors! Love it. Tore out some ugly carpet to find this underneath. I assume it was the original floor.
Another door to access more storage, where the aux battery and the solar generator + power pod exists.
More storage... deep! Above the solar generator. There are two space heaters below those camping chairs.
| The bed area folds up above the cab to give the driver and passenger more room. I'm 5' 9" and can sit down and drive just fine with the bed down though. Still plenty of head room. |
Above the passenger seat
The fire extinguisher is all yours! More storage above the bed, as you can see. So, three different areas that turn into beds! We slept 4 comfortably in this thing this summer.
The ladder has worn out the leather a little bit, but overall it's still in great condition!
Very spacious, don't you think? To the left is the bathroom and kitchen area. The right is more storage including a closet where you can hang clothes, and the fridge.
Some damage
Probably the best sleeping area, in my opinion. Above the cab.
Above cab. That light works, and is a great little reading light before you doze off to sleep. It runs on the 12v DC aux battery.
Both of the roof vents are functional. Both have screens to keep bugs out.
Gotta love that steering wheel. Had to fix the turn signals. They work, however the dash lights don't indicate that the left turn signal is on when you pull the turn signal lever. You can hear it click on though.
This door, as well as the actual van section of the motorhome has been painted with the sunshine yellow acrylic urethane all-in-one paint kit from Paint for Cars: https://paintforcars.com/.../acrylic-urethane-auto-paint.../
I bought two kits to cover the van, and also one of the arctic white, which has now been mainly covered by the rainbow... maybe I didn't need to spend $150 there on professional car paint just to cover it up... but hey, you live and learn!
Retractable steps to get in more easily. I had to modify the door a bit, as the original handle broke one day and I couldn't find a replacement one easily with the same back set to the lock set. I modified the door to fit a standard locking exterior lock set. This means I also had to do some surgery to the screen door as well, because the knob was now in a different spot.
2 100 watt panels that are part of this system:
https://naturesgenerator.com/.../natures-generator-elite...
I have purchased and incorporated this whole system into the motorhome. The only part that is not assembled is the wheels for the solar generator, which I have in a box in storage. You can have it!
With this system, I was able to convert the entire motorhome to electric. That's right! So, in other photos you will spot an induction range, a modern energy efficient fridge, and a hot water heater!
The Class C Lassie also has a working Coleman AC ceiling unit. I can also throw in a space heater for ya!
We recently went boondocking, and tested out the off-grid system!:
1. The fridge could run for days...
2. I heated up the hot water heater, and took myself a shower! Off grid, baby!
3. I also cranked up the induction range to its highest setting and boiled some water for tea. No problems at all!
The AC will not work without shore power. I haven't checked the space heater, but I doubt I'd be able to run it overnight on the solar generator batteries. I'd also not recommend trying to use the hot water heater and the induction range at the same time. Both draw about 1300 watts.
Glove compartment
Dash is in pretty good condition. I have a feeling this motorhome was stored in a garage for most of its life.
The manual choke is above the temp/def/pull-air knobs. The original cigarette lighter is around somewhere. It still works. In fact, you can charge the solar generator while you're driving by using this (which I'll include in the sale): https://naturesgenerator.com/.../natures-generator-car-kit
To the best of my knowledge, this odometer has not rolled over. The previous owner was pretty confident of that, and there is a lot of paperwork on the thing that I can give you. Also, if you look at the condition of the driver's seat and the pedals... they are all in great condition. The brake and accelerator pedals have plenty of rubber on them still.
Gotta love this design.
Passenger seat area.
Plenty of room for both driver and passenger. Can you spot the cigarette lighter? It's OEM I believe.
Bathroom.
Updated shower curtain
Updated shower curtain. It separates the shower area from the toilet area. The roomiest shower I've had in any of my campers! Love showers in here.
Updated shower curtain
Mystery switch below the mirror. Perhaps if you repeat bloody Mary ten times and flip that switch...
Some minor damage to the linoleum floors near the door.
Some additional minor damage to the linoleum floors. A great place to put a larger mat down!
Main door, and better view of the screen door I had to modify. Oh well
Underneath the bathroom sink. Leak free as of now, but I have had issues with leaks here. I repaired everything and the water pump now builds up pressure and holds. However, I would recommend keeping the water pump off when not in use and also avoiding hooking up water directly to the motorhome.
New faucet. The old one was leaking. Works great!
You can remove the shower head from the wall if you're into that sort of thing.
Another picture of the bathroom/shower area. There is no mirror in the bathroom.
Toilet. I've used it. For #1 and #2. Works just fine. The molded plastic area is in great condition! Minor wear and a couple small chips missing.
Storage in the bathroom. No light cover, unfortunately.
Bathroom
Minor damage to the bathroom door towards the bottom
Bathroom door. Fresh coat of white paint.
Love them floors!
The dinette area that folds out into a bed. Here's the bed. The pillow came with the motorhome, and you can have it next!
So lovely. So cute. Sturdy table. Cushions in great condition.
More storage below one of the seats of the dinette area.
Storage
Some more minor damage to the ceiling from a water leak at some point.
A bit more damage, above the bed above the dinette area.
Plenty of windows in this thing!
Lovely blue interior!
Another picture above the dinette.
Dinette area storage.
This is the solar generator. Learn more here: https://naturesgenerator.com/collections/natures-generator-elite/products/natures-generator-elite-gold-system
Under the dinette table.
New efficient fridge, and closet! Hang your clothes.
Water pump switch. The other knobs and switches don't do anything anymore... but I left them there instead of having gaping holes.
Cute little fridge! It's pretty sturdy, but could use a strap to hold it into place better.
Another of fridge.
Induction range / paper towel holder! Speakers don't work.
Works great!
I moved an outlet... now there's a hole in the wall. If I have time, I plan to put some sort of lightweight backsplash adhesive tile over that wall.
Kitchen. Some areas are a little stained and wood on the wall is cracked in a couple places in this area.
Kitchen.
Speaker doesn't work. You can see some damage on this wall. Put some of your favorite pictures over it! You can see the AC in this shot.
Minor damage to the cushion.
Look at all of those drawers!
Dinette folded down into a bed area.
To show you how the table doubles as part of the bed.
Driver's seat
Bees!
Apologies for the dirty windshield!
4 wheels total on the rear axle. Still plenty of tread on the tires and they all are holding air.
Spare tire treat. Lots of tread on this spare. Holds air just fine.
This is what you can have if you come buy me! Everything you need for hooking me up to my portable storage tank and directly to a dump site / full hookup site.
This is inside the box! We like to think outside the box over here, but boy has this box been handy to have for storage! It made the thing a bit lighter too, as that gas generator was hev-VEE! Want the wood? Storage tank? Everything in the blue box (see other photos). We won't need any of it anymore. Plenty of tread on this spare and it holds air just fine.
Bumble bees! Where are they headed to? Maybe to your neck of the woods! This box used to hold the gas generator. Today, it's being used for storage (see other photos). The current spare tire cover ended up being too big. It looks a little saggy! Could use something cuter. I've never towed anything with it, but there's a hitch and (untested) hookups for lights for a trailer.
Bumble bees everywhere. Those were applied using a stencil and automotive grade high gloss spray paint. Same for the hub caps, and anything else that is black on the exterior.
Get ready to turn some heads!
That one window that is slightly open has a hard time closing entirely. However, it hasn't caused any water to get into the motorhome since I replaced one of the panels. I replaced it with plexiglass, but the original panels were glass. So, the window is lighter now than it was before. Perhaps that's why it doesn't close as securely.
Wouldn't these rear windows be cuter with painted on eyelashes? Everything white is professional car paint from https://paintforcars.com/product-category/single-stage/acrylic-urethane-auto-paint-kits-starfire/
So it should last a while!! The rainbow paint is being protected by several cans of clear gloss. I'm sure it'll fade before the acrylic urethane paint from Paint for Cars.
Can you see the hail dents from here? I'll post other photos of it.
The inspiration for the rainbow came after I realized I wasn't going to be able to hide the hail damage easily. I had the idea of doing a "sponge art" rainbow, which is why it has that patchy look to it. I thought the spongy technique would create an effect that would hide the hail damage. It's definitely not as noticeable as when it was just painted white, but you can definitely still see the hail dents.
Rainbow van! Pride van! Hippy van! We took it to a gay pride event this month (June 2024). It received some love, as it should. I'd love to see it go into the hands of some LGBTQ+ org who could use it for events. That'd be great!
The paint for the van (sunshine yellow: https://paintforcars.com/product-category/single-stage/acrylic-urethane-auto-paint-kits-starfire/ ) applied with a paint gun. Didn't turn out too bad!
It sure grabs everyone's attention and puts a smile on faces! So cute. "Stand close to people who feel like sunshine"
Hail damage:
LATEST UPDATE (July 10th): The portable storage tank you can see in the video has cracked. I had to throw it out. Everything else is the same as you see.
Comments
Post a Comment